Ingredients: Organic tomato puree (water, organic tomato paste), organic tomatoes, organic basil, organic soybean oil, salt, organic onion, organic garlic powder, organic oregano, organic garlic
Net wt 25 oz. (1 lb 9 oz) 709g
Price in Kansas City on April 2, 2014 $2.29
What I love about it:
- No sugar added … NONE!
- Everything except the salt is organic
- Every ingredient is something you can find in my kitchen
- Taste. It truly tastes as if it simmered on my stove all day.
- Its usefulness in making tasty dishes like chicken cacciatore and spaghetti and as a base in my chili and some of my soups.
- Price. Really, $2.29 and it’s all organic!
- It comes in Mason jars and they make great iced tea glasses in the summer. (You can make sun tea right in the jar. No pitcher necessary.)
I hate to cook. It’s true. That’s why I teach a class called Cooking … Fast, Easy, Healthy and I consider it my job to find shortcuts that are not only good for your health, but tasty as well. It helps when they’re cost effective too.
Finding a product like this adds variety into my menu because if I don’t have to spend time preparing a delicious marinara I can spend it making a fabulous mushroom risotto!
So, what’s for dinner? I think I’ll have chicken cacciatore served over brown rice and quinoa fusilli with a fresh, green salad lightly dressed in olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, onion, salt and pepper. Bon Appetit!
I know that not all of you have access to a Trader Joe’s and I’d be happy to ship you some except that I don’t think it would be very cost effective after the shipping costs are added, so instead, read the ingredients on the sauces available to you and when you find one that’s to your standards, try it out. I’d love to hear from you about the brands that you find. Let’s share!
Here is the link to my meatless, yet very meaty tasting, spaghetti sauce!
Nancy Oglesby, the Practical Health Coach
Simplifying Healthy Lifestyle Choices